Get this crest printed on...
CUSACK Family History
This surname is of Norman-French origin from Cussac in Guienne, an ancient
province of south west France, so called from the Gallo-Roman personal name
"Cucius" or "Cussius?. Introduced into Ireland in the wake of the
Anglo-Norman Invasion of 1169 - 1170, the name was first Anglicized as "de
Cussac" and "de Cusack", and rendered "de Ciomhsog" in Irish. The first
recorded Cusacks were granted lands in Counties Meath and Kildare. The name
also appears in 14th Century records of Counties Clare and Roscommon, where
it was Gaelicized as "Mac Iosog" and "? C?os?g?. One famous Cusack was
Michael Cusack (Irish: M?che?l ? C?os?g) (20th September 1847 ? 27th
November 1906) an Irish teacher and founder of the Gaelic Athletic
Association. Cusack also became involved in the Irish language movement,
founding The Celtic Times, a weekly newspaper which focused on 'native
games' and Irish culture. The Clare GAA pitch in Ennis, and the Westmeath
GAA pitch in Mullingar, are both named "Cusack Park" in his honour, as is
the "Cusack Stand" in Croke Park, Dublin.
Today the name is widespread throughout Ireland, especially in Munster,
where it is Anglicized Cusack, Cusick, Cuseck, Cuseick, Kusick, and Kewzick.
The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of
Geoffrey and Andre de Cusack, who came to Ireland with King John, which was
dated 1211, in "Medieval Records of the Pale", during the reign of King
John, known as "Lackland".